The Evaluating Professionals Fact Sheet from the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) covers popular topics such as:
- How do I know if a professional is reputable or qualified?
- How do I know if a particular professional is the right person to work with my child?
- Is testing and evaluation necessary to diagnose dyslexia?
- How long does instruction need to continue? How often? What progress can I expect?
- What are reasonable expectations for communication among school staff, independent educational professionals, and family?
What policies, fees, and scheduling considerations are typical for working with an independent educational professional?
- It is your responsibility to ask about policies and fees in advance of hiring a professional.
- Does insurance cover the costs of testing or fees for specialized instruction?